Sunday 7 January 2018

Ardhammer 2018.

Well today I took myself off to the Ardhammer annual tabletop sale which I have never been to before and had never heard of either. Luckily it was only a shortish drive up to Gateshead and should have been easy to find with my sat nav. Au contraire.... The sale was in Bensham which is technically still part of Gateshead but is a bugger to navigate through given all the closed off streets.
 Anyway what started inauspiciously turned into a nice way to spend a few quid in the month that isn't usually known for wargaming events.
 I would reckon there was about two dozen tables booked. Granted most were selling off Games Workshop stuff and the like at what seemed reasonable prices, but there were also a few enterprising wargamers attempting to shrink their wargames mountains.
  I can see the potential of this event which has been running for three years and I will attend next year everything being well.To be honest it would be a good event for historical wargamers to attend and expand the whole idea.The parking was free. The food and drink cheap, so what was not to like on a cold Sunday morning in January.
  So did I buy anything. Well yes. A book I subsequently found I already owned. Just how many times have I done this in the past!
 Some really nice buildings at discount prices.
 And the full battery from the GW Dogs of War series, Boronzios? Guns. I actually had some of this many years ago, but sold them. This time I managed to pick up the whole five gun battery with the five limbers and crew. I couldnt help myself because it is perfect for the renaissance and isn't too fantasy like at all. I wont boast about the price I paid, but it was very reasonable....
 A tabletop sale that I would recommend wargamers consider next year. Great idea, so well done to the 'lads' who organised it.

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like you got,yourself a bargain with the old Dogs of War pieces. Yes it was/is called Bronzios Galloper fun. You got FIVE?.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colin, you know how good a range the Dogs of War were. I should never have sold my army, even though it was never used. I just had to buy those guns.

      Delete
  2. Well, stands to reason you've just painted a pike block some archers and light cavalry with gendarmes on the way you "need " artillery? Don't you?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you noticed Iain when you see something at a ridiculously low price, you feel the need to buy it. I used to have one set, which I sold cheaply. Now I own five sets?. Its mad.

      Delete
  3. Robbie,I've never heard of this either-wish we'd gone by the sounds of it.
    By the way,if you came away from Bensham with all of your hubcaps intact,you are indeed a lucky man!!
    johnc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Its not the most welcoming place. I did a couple of murder enquiries up there. It should have been more.

      Delete
  4. By an odd coincidence I was at Penkridge Table Top Sale on the same day! My purchases also for my Borgias project, though not so impressive as yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Id never been before and think its a good idea, especially in January when wargames shows etc are very thin on the ground.

      Delete
  5. Thank for your very good article! i always enjoy & read the post you are sharing!

    Movie Online

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating