Wednesday 4 October 2017

Plastic Week.

 I have a bit of a love/ hate relationship with plastic wargames figures. I love the price and what is pretty good value for money. I like their paint ability [ more of that in a minute] but I hate gluing the damn things together. I end up with strings of plastic glue hanging off the figure and invariably on my fingers and beard.I just cannot do a really neat job of sticking them together. Anyway I wanted to use up a box of Perry Union troops and stuck them and me together.
 I have noticed when it comes to the actual painting I dont do a precise paint finish on them unlike my metal chaps. Subconsciously I think back to my Airfix soldier days when I just used to slap the paint on them.Anyway I have completed the regiment, the 90th Illinois, an Irish regiment that fought in the western theatre. Why them? I liked the flag, simples really. They are an average painted regiment, but they will do.
 As for the gory exploding union troops. Well that is courtesy of reading Wargames Illustrated and the Ron Ringrose article. Again I know they aren't up to Ron's standard, but it was my first attempt. Now I know the pitfalls I may do a couple more to stand around my table. 
 Anyway tomorrow I'm hosting an ACW game using a set of rules based on Fire and fury and DBA. God knows how that will work, but let no one accuse me of trying different things.




12 comments:

  1. Rob, don't do yourself down, they're very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe. I just find plastic harder to paint, I think its because of their fine detail. A bit like the old Minden range.

      Delete
  2. Nice, I like the guy with the hat in his hand as a bit of variety, I will try that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norm,
      Originally I was going to have a hat impaled on a musket, but I didnt have a fine enough drill.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Paul,
      I still would be happier painting metal.

      Delete
  4. They look great, you stuck enough Perry plastics together for your borgias army I'd have thought you'd be a veteran at it by now!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iain,
      The Perry renaissance seem easier to put together. I think the twins lavished more effort into the ACW figures, they are more femur.

      Delete
  5. Robbie,nice job-Ron Ringrose isn't the only one to come up with an explosive idea this month(see wwg blog)
    johnc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John,
      I saw your post, and very nice they were to. Explosions are great for WW2.

      Delete
  6. They look great Robbie, yes that Irish flag is nice
    Chris G

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating