Thursday 30 July 2015

I Have Seen the Future.

Although I havent mentioned it, on my blog too often, my biggest interest is the Napoleonic Wars, and over the years I have built up very large 6mm armies of all the nations that fought in the wars, baring the USA and Turkey.
 My rules of choice were Frank Chadwick's original Volley and Bayonet wargames rules which while on the face of it seemed simplistic, were and are very subtle and well thought out rules.
 Now its fair to say since I took on my two big wargames projects of the SYW and the Italian Wars I have neglected the Napoleonic period, which is a real shame.
 That was until John invited me to fight a Napoleonic 10mm game using the new Blucher rules written by Sam Mustafa.
 In the words of Rene Zelwhigger, the rules had me from the start. Again on the face of it the system seems very simplistic, the reality is the opposite. I have now used the rules twice, and can honestly say, I have seen the future of Napoleonic wargaming, the rules are that good.
 I have taken the step of actually buying the rules, which proves to me that I am very impressed with them. What is so good about them, well the command and control for one, the firing systems for a second, and I particularly like the way certain commanders can influence a unit or corps.
 Now I have the rules I intend to see if I can use my 6mm armies without too much rebasing etc.
I dont think it should be too much of an issue, but I would like to pretty up the basing  and make the divisions of my figures really look like a division of troops.
 Sam Mustafa has an excellent site regarding the rules and is worth a visit just to see what I am burbling on about
 Certainly for me an exciting wargaming development.

 A photograph, of my original Volley and Bayonet based 6mm Napoleonic troops.

12 comments:

  1. Hi Robbie always good to try new rules.Are you going to Border Reiver if you are the lads are keen to get a date for a game with you if you are not I will give you contact details and we will take it from there
    Brian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about not replying sooner, but I have been a tad busy Brian.
      I will be attending Reivers, but if you want to set up someting sooner drop me an e mail anytime.
      Thanks Robbie.

      Delete
  2. They look good from what I've heard. Wouldn't mind a game with them some time

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robbie, this is the scale of game I've always wanted to play but have never found the rules to do it. My reservations may still be - does it 'feel' like a large battle or are we just looking at battalions and pretending they are Brigades, Divisions etc. What makes this different? I want these rules to work I really do, suppose I just need to have a go with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave,
      Sorry for the delay in replying. As regards the 'feel' I will know better when we have fought a very large game, say four corps. Up to now I am very impressed. The rules are easy to pick up and very logical. I have always been impressed with Volley and Bayonet and I think these are the true sucessors of those fine rules. I have yet to attempt all the advanced rules, but up to now they have a great feel to them.

      Delete
  4. Robbie,
    I like these rules a lot. I have resurrected my 20mm and got Martin at war bases to cut me a couple of hundred bases!
    Think your 6 mm will look superb.
    Graham

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delay Graham,
      Its the rebasing that is holding me back actually. Although I dont actually need to do that, but I would like to re vamp all my armies by doing so. I was very impressed with Pendragon's 10mm figures by the way.

      Delete
  5. Pleased you enjoyed using the rules Robbie, I said to my dad after our first game with them that I fancied you would enjoy them. I like you was hooked straight away after using them, a great set of rules!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robbie,
    I think these rules look promising. Definitely 'give them a shot' sometime

    ReplyDelete
  7. If your troops are based for volley and bayonet why do you feel you need to rebase. I've played Blucher a lot now and base size is not critical. I refuse to ever rebase again and went for magnets and sabots. check out our basing decisions at http://flownlegions.blogspot.com.es/2015/07/blucher-basing-final-decision.html

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating