Sunday 7 February 2010

Vapnartak 2010

I try to attend as many wargames shows as possible,from my base in the North east of England.
This year 2010,is no exception, and the first of the year was Vapnartak,the York Wargames show.
Wargames shows in the United Kingdom usually follow a common trend,of trade show first,wargames second. I once attended the Napoleonic Fair in London,which technically was not totally a wargames show,but had a lot of nice figures on show,coupled with some good games. The best thing however was the series of guest speakers,led by Colonel Elting,[Swords around the Throne] These talks were both informative and entertaining,something that seems to be lacking at typical wargames shows. Now I am not decrying the ability to handle and then buy wargames figures,I just feel there is a need to do more at these gatherings.
I digress from my visit to York,but it would be nice [ a bad word] to say have an additional reason to attend a show,ie a guest speaker talking about their latest rules, a noted figure designer explaining how he designs the masters, an editor of a wargames magazine telling us about the business etc.
I know its easy to pontificate when I dont have to be part of the organisation of a show,but these are purely ideas.
Anyway on to York show......
I really enjoyed this years show,there was a definate excitement about the place,probably caused by the fact it was packed to the gunnels with gamers young and old.
The show has built upon its sucess and with a good location has created a big event,so well done to the York wargames club. I particulary liked the Battle of Pavia in 28mm, a 28mm battle based around Mesopatamia 1914,a 15mm battle of Antietam and a 28mm battle of Raphia.
There other really good quality games,but I didnt record their details. The trade was as prolific as ever,with a wide range of stalls selling everything a wargamer would want,except 28mm Seven years war collectors.
I felt sorry for people attempting to place figures in the bring and buy as it was mobbed all day.
I was really tempted by a box of 54mm Irregular Miniatures franco prussian toy soldiers,but I am determined to complete my syw project first.I was also able to see first hand the new Perry twins, Wars of the Roses personalities,and these are lovely figures,crying out for a decent paint job,[any chance for a Charles the Bold chaps!]
The food was good quality if a little pricey, and I understand parking became a problem due to numbers,but all in all a very good show.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating